Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona…proud sponsor of Meet Me at Maynards
How to make your summer safe
Protect yourself from summer heat, UV rays and an increased risk of skin cancer by:
- Using sunscreen and lip balm with a sun protection factor (SPF) of 30 or higher.
- Reapplying sunscreen often, especially after swimming.
- Wearing long sleeves and pants. Beat the heat with clothes that are lightweight, light in color and loose fitting.
- Drinking plenty of water.
- Planning strenuous exercise for cooler times of the day.
Keep your family safe in and around the water by:
- Having close adult supervision for children swimming or playing near water.
- Not swimming alone. Teach your kids to always swim with a buddy too.
- Never drinking alcohol while swimming, boating, water skiing or supervising children.
- Planning swimming lessons for yourself and children older than 1.
- Maintaining your pool to avoid spreading infectious illnesses. Also avoid swallowing pool, lake or river water.
Pay attention to food safety during the warm months:
- Cook all meat, poultry and fish thoroughly. Use a thermometer to make sure food is cooked all the way through.
- Avoid cross contamination by washing hands, utensils and cutting boards well after touching raw meat.
- Put leftovers in the refrigerator right away to prevent bacterial growth.
- Wash produce well before eating it.